Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Names...

actually this thing happened some time ago, but I'm still thinking about and still feeling 不爽 about it. so I decided to blog about it to get it out of my chest.

I have this colleague of mine who keep calling my name wrongly. AND IT'S LIKE EVERY TIME, EVEN AFTER I CORRECTED HER!!!

my dialect name is Cheng Wan (pronounced as "ching one"). this colleague, call her O. the first time O called me 'chen wan', interpretation, orange bowl in Chinese. I told her politely that my name is not that. the next day she came back calling me that again. arghhh... that was like more than a year ago, even before I was pregnant with Lil Darling lor. I gave up correcting her after 5 or 6 failed attempts. probably she's getting more and more irritating (in other ways) recently that I cannot stand her calling my name wrongly. I decided that since that is MY name, I've got the right to have MY name pronounced correctly.

so few days ago, O called me wrongly again, I corrected. fine, she said the correct one. the next day she called the wrong one again. which part of 'my name is not chen wan. please call me cheng wan.' that she don't understand??? then she still can say, 'but that is your Chinese name.' WHEN DID I EVER SAY MY CHINESE NAME IS ORANGE BOWL!!?? then I retorted in a rather pissed tone, 'no, my Chinese name is not that, it's Jingyun by the way'. she replied, 'oh, that is so different.' argghhh.. I decided that I don't want to spend anymore effort to explain to her that it's a direct translation from Cantonese. I've also made up my mind that if she call me wrongly the next time, I'm going to ignore her, cuz she is not calling me.

folks, name is a very personal thing to any person. it represents that person. so please make an effort to remember the person's name and call it correctly, the way the person wanted it to be called. that is respect.

folks, thanks for listening to my complaint. haha.. I'm using my Lil Darling's blog my personal use again.

No comments: